Friday, June 20, 2008

Beer drinkers vs. Wine drinkers?

It's interesting to me, how the majority of American society looks to wine as a "high brow, civilized, and cultured drink" but looks to beer as the complete opposite. When you research the history of the two drinks, they came about around the same time and actually, BEER MAY HAVE COME FIRST. The civilizations that created both are widely acknowledged as "progressive cultural societies." So why do wine drinkers think they are all that? Smaller glass means better? Hmmm...I See the expressions, reactions, and descriptions that people give about wine but watch these same people give cold stares to people who have the same passion about beer. Seems pretty silly. Yes, I am aware of and do understand marketing, but I would argue that for as much crappy and unhealthy beer out there (think malt liquor) there are just as many crappy and silly wines out there (think wine coolers and white zinfandel; yes I said it!). Seems like alcohol is becoming another way to separate people,and create environments of faux "status" rather than being a conduit for group socializing and multi faceted communication. That's wack. Did we, once again, get this lesson wrong?

After this Sunday, I'm going to attempt a week of not going out anywhere for drinks/clubbing/partying, etc. I need to cleanse myself of the "party" noise. See you in the streets over the next couple days or see you in a week and some days.

Peace.
- Me

1 comment:

Crystal Maria said...

LOVE IT! This sounds like ANgie wrote it.